For years of caring for and working with small/toy breed dogs I have learned a couple of tricks along the way. Every dog is different so sometimes you have to try a couple of techniques or switch things around to get them to eat.
First Be sure your small/toy breed dog is not:
Ill or not feeling well
May have a food allergy. Chicken and corn are one of the most common.
Depression or anxiety. Speak with your vet first
Things to do
- Is your small/ toy dog hungry? Some small/ toy dogs prefer having small meals throughout the day period and others eat better in the morning or at night.
- Place the food down for 15 to 20 minutes set a timer then pick it up. Your baby will learn quick if they only have a short period of time if they're going to eat.
- If your small/ toy dog likes the food it stick with it.
- Variety is the spice of life keep that in mind
- The feeding area is a happy and quiet place. An area where he/she feels safe and confined bathroom, laundry room,crate etc
Daily amount of food+treats (adults) depending on activity level.
Weight of Dog (lbs.) Maintenance
1 lbs. 1/8 – 1/4 c
3 lbs. 1/4 – 3/8 c
5 lbs. 3/8 – 1/2 c
10 lbs. 3/4 – 1 c
20 lbs. 1 – 1 1/4 c
- Have you change their food? They may have an upset stomach.
- Place the food on the floor a plate make row food off of the plate & a few on the floor.
- Hand feed them a couple of bites to get he/her started. Not the whole serving.
- warm up cold food with a bit of hot water or broth over the top of the food.
- Pour a little bit of oil fish, coconut or sesame over the food.
- Sprinkle a little bit of cheese or boiled chicken (if not allergic) on top over the food.
- Mix a little baby food of chicken/turkey(if not allergic) or beef over the food. Make sure there is no onion ingredients.
- Break up a bit your fur baby's favorite treat over there food . The mini bite-size training treats is great!
- Chop up a little bit of canned asparagus or green beans over there food.
- Mix in some cooked sweet potato, squash or pumpkin in your toy/small dogs food. Great to balance out the digestive system. Diarrhea or constipation and has lots of fiber.
Raw food and home cooked rice salmon boiled beef or chicken is a great no salt alternative. Make it in large batches and freeze them in individual serving sizes.